Meetings
Members

Lions Dedicate Bridge of Flowers

July 13. 2019

 

       Amherst Lions Club officially launched the “Bridge of Flowers” today with a ribbon cutting at the 119-year-old closed bridge on the corner of Boston Post Road and Route 122. The club took a neglected landmark and turned it into something that better reflects the welcoming character of Amherst residents that includes a welcome sign with pots and planters of blooming annuals. Other Lion-inspired design elements include a solar powered irrigation system and an in-ground perennial garden. Lions contributed more than 300 hours toward the initial set-up and have rotating duties to weed and tend to the flowers during the growing season. The closed municipal bridge was originally built in 1900 using some of the 42-inch thick granite blocks from a local jail house that was torn down in 1893. Renovations were made on the bridge until it was closed when an adjacent bridge opened in 1983. According to the NH Department of Transportation, the corner is one of the busiest in Amherst with more than 4,800 vehicles traveling by the intersection each day.                                                 

       

                      

                      

 

    


_______________________________________________________________________________

In 2017, the Lions purchased updated water rescue equipment for the Amherst Fire Rescue Department. Later, the operators trained at night, using that new equipment. The then-Lions President Joe Sirios volunteered to be the person who'd fallen through the ice. While Sirois was wearing a winter suit, he was out far enough that his feet did not touch bottom. Check out the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hD6UdggMLponu16qDfJ8ZZvwKe7Ux7Ss/view?usp=sharing

 

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online
Twitter