The Tallmadge Lions Club was formed in October of 1938 and chartered by the International Association of Lions Clubs with 25 members on December 27 of that same year. Lion T. Neil Jones served as the first club president.

The club grew and prospered and in 1957 originated and sponsored the first Mid-West Industrial Free Fair. This event included a midway, carnival rides, health screening booths, food vendors, games and numerous displays by local businesses, churches and clubs. A Fair Beauty Queen was chosen every year. The Tallmadge Mid-West Industrial Fair became one of the city’s largest civic events and continued for 27 years.

In 1962, using money earned from the fairs, the Tallmadge Lions purchased a farmhouse at the end of East Garwood Drive for $25,000. The land was cleared and improved with an additional investment of $35,000. The land was deeded to the City of Tallmadge as a park in 1962. Access for a driveway along the railroad tracks off Northeast Ave was given to the Lions Club in exchange for allowing a Northeast Avenue company to put a railroad siding across Lions Park land.

The Lions Park, located in the center of Tallmadge, now contains several picnic pavilions, tennis courts, basketball courts, soccer field, softball field and a children’s playground. Lights are provided for nighttime use of the facilities.

A pavilion was deeded back to the Tallmadge Lions on July 25th of 1989. The 132 x 147 foot cement floor of the pavilion is now the current Tallmadge Lions Hall. The hall was dedicated on May 20, 1990 with an open house. This facility is now the home of the Tallmadge Lions, which meets the second and fourth Wednesday of each month at 6:30PM. The air conditioned Lions Hall with capacity for 125 people, has a fully equipped kitchen, tables and chairs, and is handicapped accessible. The hall is available for rent through the Tallmadge Recreation Center.

The Tallmadge Lions Club is part of the International Association of Lions Clubs, and is a member of Ohio Lions District 13C. District 13C is one of the few Lions Districts in the world that have two Eye Clinics. Lions Eye Clinic at St Vincent's Charity Hospital in Cleveland was founded in 1970.  The Greater Akron Lions Eyecare Program was founded in 1979.  These two 'jewels of the District' provide those in need in Northeast Ohio with eye care.  The Tallmadge Lions Club is deeply involved with both of these clinics, with Lions working on the board of both organizations.

In July 2008 the club formed the Tallmadge Lions Foundation, a non-profit charity to allow tax-deductions on funds raised by the club. These funds are used to support the eye clinics and Lions causes.

In June 2014 the club changed it's meeting date to the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month.  Dinner is served at 6:30PM and the meetings start at 7:00PM.  In 2018 the dates were changed back to the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays.  Stop by and join us!

The success story of the Tallmadge Lions shows what dedicated men and women can accomplish for their community and for humanity. Our motto tells it all....




Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online