Meetings
Members

Ontario, Canada

 

 

Club Representative   Contact Information
Attention Club Secretary   mail@grimsbylions.org
     

 

A Brief Short & Long History
of the Grimsby Lions Club

Grimsby Ontario, October 2019: While the current Lions’ Club has been in existence for 4.5 years, LIONISM & community service in Grimsby date back to 1938.

In the 70 years of the previous club’s existence, it accomplished a lot in the community. The club was the driving force for the establishment of the West Lincoln Memorial Hospital . In 1942 Dr. MacMillan and Lion Sandy Globe had a discussion about the need for a community Hospital. Sandy made a presentation to the Lions Club and they got behind the fundraising. Tragedy struck in 1948 and the Hospital burned down, it was again Lion Sandy who spearheaded the drive to build the current Hospital.

In the 1940’s & 1950’s the club sponsored swimming lessons through the Red Cross down at the Grimsby Beach. The club sponsored various youth sports teams and Boy Scout troops. Two of the club’s major projects were the clearing of the land in the late 1950’s where Coronation Park is and as part of the club’s 25th year was the opening of the Lions pool in 1963. This area is now officially recognized as Grimsby Lions’ Coronation Park & Community Pool.

In 1967, as a recognition of Canada’s Centennial, the club created the Rose Garden in Centennial Park.

In the 4 and a half years the current club has become known for their community BBQs. The club is continually asked to perform 5-6 BBQs annually from the Home Show, Raptorfest, Canada Day, Fun Fests at local schools and Doors Open. We also host 3 or 4 Youth Dances a year support Community Organizations from GBF, The FORT and BIG BROTHER/BIG SISTERS along with assisting with the Walk for DOG GUIDES.

The Grimsby & District Lions Club currently meets monthly at the Southward Community Park facility. 

 

 

 

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online
Twitter