Tolland Lions Club celebrates 40 years serving the community
November 1969 – November 2009
The Tolland Lions Club was founded on November 16, 1969. Since that time we have been committed to helping neighbors in need. Money raised by our club has been reinvested in the community by:
- Providing vision screening to local families in need
- Organizing community blood drives
- Providing scholarships to graduates of Tolland High School
- Supporting Tolland High School Project Graduation
- Maintaining Lions Field, a baseball field in Crandall Park
- Supporting Youth Sports programs in Tolland
- Providing Holiday food baskets to local families in need
- Supporting Eagle Scout Projects
- Providing scholarships to Boys and Girls State
In addition, we have faithfully supported Regional and National Lions projects, including:
- Low Vision Center, a nonprofit organization that helps people with low vision maintain their independence
- Connecticut Lions Eye Research Foundation, which is dedicated to funding Eye Research projects performed at Connecticut Universities
- Fidelco, a nonprofit organization that trains guide dogs for the blind
- Camp Rising Sun, a free camp in northwest Connecticut for children diagnosed with cancer
The Tolland Lions Club raises funds to support these projects in a variety of ways, including:
- Renting tents, chairs and tables (for more information see the tent rental section of this web page)
- Organizing the Spirit of Spring 5K Road Race and Kim’s Fun Run. This event is held the first Saturday in April.
- Holding an annual pancake breakfast on the Tolland Green. This event is held the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.
- Providing refreshments at a local Rest Stop
If you would like to become involved in an upcoming project, or would like to join the Tolland Lions Club, please join us at an upcoming meeting. Our meetings start at 7.00pm at Mitchell’s Restaurant in Vernon. There is a one-hour social period before each meeting. Please come out and enjoy the fellowship and help those who need a helping hand.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.3 million members in approximately 45,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.