Lions Club International Mission
"We Serve". Since its inception in 1917, Lions Clubs International has been dedicated to helping those less fortunate in their communities and around the world. Cutting across all national, racial and cultural boundaries, activities include:
- Sight conservation and work with the visually impaired
- Hearing conservation and work with the hearing impair
- Youth programs including drug education and prevention, community outreach and volunteer program
- Work for international cooperation and understanding, including international youth camps, youth exchange programs and Lions International Peace Poster Contest
The Redwood Shores Lions Club was officially chartered by Lions International on June 28, 1991. The new Club was sponsored by the Foster City Lions Club under the leadership of Guiding Lions Ray Rosenthal, Eydie Miskel and Tim Collins. The Redwood Shores Lions Club Charter President was Lion Joe T. Loo.
The Redwood Shores Lions Club upholds the Lions’ motto of “WE SERVE” by providing service to numerous local community projects including: Bay Area Aides services; Habitat for Humanity; the Boy Scouts; Redwood City Homeless Shelter; Senior Citizen programs; and youth scholarship programs.
Some of the projects completed by the Redwood Shores Lions Club:
- Peace Poster Contest (area Middle Schools)
- Flag Day (Nesbitt and Sandpiper Elementary Schools)
- Eyeglass Collection (recycling of used eyeglasses)
- Scholarship Awards to local high school seniors
- “Share the Warmth” project (clothing donation to local homeless shelters)
- Student Speaker Contest (open to all students grades 9 to 12)
- Ear of the Lion Foundation (hearing aids recycling project)
- Belmont Senior Community Center (dinners for seniors)
- Bike-For-Breath Bikeathon for American Lung Society (volunteer support)
- Save The Music Festival (volunteer support)
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.3 million members in approximately 45,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.