The Lions Club of Winnipeg was chartered on November 26, 1921.

In 1925, it adopted care of the blind after Helen Keller asked the Lions to become the Knights for the Blind.

The following are some of the many activities over the next 84 years:

In 1931-32, a large lodge was built at Whitemouth for Boys Work.

In 1935, Lions spent $6000.00 for machinery at the Blind Institute at Sherburn and Portage Ave.

On April 1, 1941, the Lions Club  for the Blind opened at 419 Cumberland Ave.

In 1941, the Lions started the perennial Rose Day in aid of various community projects.

Since April 1942, the club has been sponsoring the Jim Whitecross Air Cadet Squadron on an annual basis.

On August 25,1948, the Lions Residence for the Blind opened at Portage and Sherburn Ave.

On May 8, 1959, the first glaucoma clinic in Canada was held with 170 cases detected and on Nov. 12, 1959 the Lions and ladies packaged 10,000 pairs of glasses that were sent to India and Pakistan.

On Feb. 4, 1960 the Lion Newspaper Bingo gave the club $100,000.00 which was the largest single amount given to charity by any service club.

On June 3, 1971, the South Tower was completed at Lions Manor.

In 1973, the club donated $6000.00 to furnish 10 rooms at Camp Manitou.

The year 1973 saw the first Lions Telethon that lasted for several very successful years.

In 1975,  the club donated $5000.00 towards a pool and change rooms at Camp Manitou.

These are some of the fundraising activities the lions club have been involved with  over the past years and we keep on working towards helping the needy.


Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online