The Bedford Village Lions Club was organized on December 11,1946 at a meeting at the Bedford Village Firehouse and received its Charter in February 1947.  33 men of Bedford Village became charter members of the Club.

The first President was Kenneth Clapp (a local insurance broker with his office in the Jackson House now Wendy’s Closet) and the Secretary/Treasurer was Ralph Sherry (a pharmacist and co-owner of the Bedford Pharmacy).  Under their leadership, the Club got off to a good start.  One of the chief activities at that time was the co-sponsoring of the Bedford Carnival with the Bedford Fire Department.  This co-sponsorship continued for three or four years with the proceeds from the carnival exceeding $10,000 each year.  As a result, there was enough money held between the Fire Department and the Lions Club to purchase 28 acres of land on Greenwich Road, formerly the site of the old Bedford Airport that then became Bedford Village Memorial Park. 

Upon the death of Ken Clapp, an alcove was built in the Bedford Village Library with funds from the Lions as a memorial to him as its first president.  This alcove is now the large print section of the library.

For over 60 years, our club has maintained the tradition of providing service to community with projects ranging from funding community events, making contributions to local and national charitable organizations and providing scholarships.  The Bedford Village Lions Club through its foundation is committed to bringing the unparalleled services of Lions Clubs International to our community.


Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online