The Salmon Creek Lions Club, sponsored by the Hazel Dell Lions Club, was chartered on December 11, 1981; held its Club Charter Banquet February 13, 1982; and was incorporated September 20, 1993. The Club’s 25th Anniversary was celebrated at a November 4, 2006 event. The Club’s non-profit Foundation was established in 2013.
The Club has long been a committed supporter of the Lions Sight Foundation of Clark County and the Lions Hearing and Speech Conservation Committee of Clark County. Club members have served key roles with each organization; and the Club has been a significant financial supporter through the years.
In recent years, the Club has moved with determination to also give priority to serving needs within the Salmon Creek area of Clark County in keeping with the Club’s name. Accordingly, the Club has:
- Served lunch at the Felida July 4th Kids Parade; and at the annual Open Houses of Fire District 6 and the Clark County Sheriff.
- Operated—upon request—food concessions at the opening of the Felida Park Soccer Season.
- Partnered with Fire District 6 to replace smoke detectors and/or batteries as needed in low-income areas.
- Supplied food and children’s gifts at Christmas for distribution through the Neighbors Helping Neighbors organization.
- Sponsored the Lions Health and Screening Mobile Unit at King’s Way Christian School.
- Supported various other efforts of the Felida Neighborhood Association, including serving food at a tribute celebration for our long-time member Wally Miller, who was recognized for over forty years of service to the community.
- Established a mutually supportive partnership with Legacy Salmon Creek Hospital.
The Club has also served the broader community by:
- Being a major supporter of the Walk and Knock Interservice Food Drive site at Fire District 6’s Hazel Dell Station.
- Participating in the annual Klineline Kids’ Fishing Event at Klineline Pond Park.
- Preparing and serving a meal to the children and staff at the Washington State School for the Blind’s annual Carnival.
- Ringing bell’s for the Salvation Army’s Holiday Drive.
- Collecting and recycling used eyeglasses and hearing aids.
- Supporting several diabetes programs in the local area.
- Financially supporting Leader Dogs for the Blind and Guide Dogs for the Blind.
It is noteworthy that the Salmon Creek Lions Club was instrumental in starting both the Walk and Knock Food Drive and the Klineline Kids’ Fishing Event (originally a Kids’ Fishing Derby). The Club also works cooperatively with the Clark County Restorative Justice Program to accept “community service youth” as co-workers in its projects, while serving as mentors and positive role-models to those youth.
The Club continues to financially support the worldwide humanitarian work of the Lions Club International Foundation by funding Melvin Jones Fellowships.
The Club works hard at various fund-raising activities to financially support it’s service to humanitarian causes locally and around the world. Examples of such activities are sales of flower baskets, holiday wreaths, and Entertainment Books as well as paper recycling, silent auctions and food concessions.
We welcome community members to join with us at any of the above events as we strive to live out the Lions’ motto of We Serve! Just call or email any of our club officers.