- The Hagerstown Lions Club was organized in 1923 with 48 charter members who bonded together as a coordinated group of civic-minded individuals committed to serving the community.
- We are part of Lions Clubs International, the largest and most active service club organization in the world.
- Our club organizational standing is 362 among 46,725 Lions Clubs in the world, placing us in the top 1% of all Lions Clubs in length of continuous service.
- We are one of the largest clubs of the 59 Lions Clubs in District 22-W (the 5 counties of Western Maryland) with more than 60 members who serve the community, the district, and Lions Clubs International.
- The Hagerstown Lions Club has sponsored or co-sponsored 8 other Lions Clubs in the Region (Washington County) and sponsored the first Lioness Club in the District.
Whether it’s conducting local assistance programs, volunteering at community events, or providing financial support, Lions are there when needed.
Our motto is...
- The charitable organizations and activities we support include Eye Care (eyeglasses and exams for the needy), Hearing Aids, Boys & Girls Club, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Friends of Scouting, San Mar Children’s Home, Children In Need, YMCA Youth Programs, Massey H. Roe Youth Foundation scholarships, Micah’s Backpack Program, Summer Feeding Program, Books for Kids, and tree planting and Monarch butterfly waystation projects. We sponsor a Cub Scout Pac at Robert W. Johnson Community Center and provide other miscellaneous special needs grants. Lions' programs we support include Lions Vision Research Foundation, Lions Clubs International Foundation, Leader Dogs for the Blind, and Medical Eye Bank of Maryland. 80-85% of our contributions go to local community charitable causes and 15-20% to Lions district and international charitable programs. We also organize and carry out numerous service projects to provide needed assistance to other local charitable organizations.
DURABLE MEDICAL EQUIPMENT LOAN PROGRAM
The Hagerstown Lions Club has an extensive inventory of hundreds of items of durable medical equipment for loan to individuals during a period of disability. The equipment inventory includes wheelchairs, walkers, walkers with seat, potty chairs, canes, crutches, knee scooters, shower benches, a power chair and more. There is no charge for the use of equipment on loan. Donations are accepted. To inquire about availability of a needed appliance and the location for pick up, call our Help Line at 301-393-9333. Leave your name and phone number and a Lion member will contact you, or you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our club meets every Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. at American Legion Post #42, 405 Northern Avenue, Hagerstown.
Become a Lion...
Download an Application
New implant for macular degeneration
Marvelous things are happening with the research done through District 22 Lions Clubs' support of the Lions Vision Research Foundation at Johns Hopkins...
Former President Jimmy Carter, also a former District Governor of Lions Clubs in Georgia, speaks about his experience as a Lion and how Lions are helping eliminate preventable blindness in the world:
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
-- Helen Keller
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.