The Gosford City Lions Story
The Lions Club of Gosford City was formed through
the sponsorship of the Lions Club of The Entrance at a meeting on September 9, 1957. The club was number
106 to be formed in Australia.
The club received its charter
at a Gala event held at the Hotel Florida on the evening of Saturday November 30, 1957. The charter was
presented to President Lion Clive McLachlan by Deputy District Governor Lion Gordon Cartwright on behalf of
District Governor Lion William Berge Phillips (OBE) with 34 members in attendance.
It was not long before the new
club became active in the community. One of the first projects was the establishment of the Lions Park in
Masons Parade which was built on new land reclaimed from the Broad Water foreshore. Huge amounts
of rock and rubble topped by fill and soil were needed to produce the park which is basically as it stands today.
Improvements and changes have occured over the years and the Brick entry was part of renovations brought
about during the mid-70s. Waterfront seating was donated and installed subsequently.
The club initially provided
a television set to the St. Joseph's Orphanage at Kincumber. Additionally, more sets have been
supplied throughout the years to give the children entertainment as well as annual picnic outings which were
very popular and much enjoyed by all. Other beneficiaries of club funds over the years have been the
Fairhaven School at Point Clare.
Various recipients include:-
* New Surf Boat for the Copacabana Surf Club.
* Donations to the Flood Victims Appeal for the 1974 floods.
* Providing a Rescue Boat to the local Sailing Club.
* Rebuilding William Plaza in conjunction with Gosford Rotary.
* Funding the Landscaping of the Legacy Retirement Homes, including a Fountain.
* Fully furnishing the newly built Senior Citizens Centre in
Gosford, which included a piano and a television.
* Providing Rescue equipment to the Ambulance and
Volunteer Rescue services.
* Sponsoring a new Fire Tanker for the Matcham Bushfire
* Breakfast on the beach on numerous Australia Day
* Annual Christmas party for the children of Glenvale Special
School at Narara.
* Numerous projects at Gosford Hospital funding specialised
equipment, including the establishment of a Dialysis Ward.
* Sponsored five new Lions Clubs, one of them being the
world's first ever 'Challenge Club' for retired people.
These are just some of the
diverse projects initiated and supported by the Gosford City Lions over the many years.
Untold numbers of community service projects to assist the incapacitated, people in difficulties,
and children with special needs have been funded. A big project to fit out the East Gosford
school playground with equipment designed for handicapped and other children have been financed as well.
The clubs 50 year Charter
anniversary in November 2007 was marked by the "The Lions Club of Gosford City Inc. Golden Anniversary
Disabled Children Chest" courtesy of a generous $15,000 donation from the late Lion Joe Bieniek.
The 'chest' has been topped up and been utilised to fund several qualifying projects with the
help of additional donations from Lion Joe.
The Jewel in the Crown
for the Gosford City Lions was the building of the "Lions Community Hall" in East Gosford. It was
completed just one year after turning the first sod in September 2000. The project was paid for
by the club with generous donations and assistance from many local building tradesmen and suppliers as
well as grants from the Australian Lions Foundation. The hall is available for functions and is
a major fundraiser for the Lions. For further information on hall hire please contact
Lion Syd on (Mobile) 0412 656 629.
"We are here to make a difference"