Our History

The Simonds Lions Club was chartered on May 24, 1963 with 24 members. The first president was Lion Jim Swim who had to be replaced within the first month due to a business transfer. At that time, Lion Ralph Corbett took over to successfully guide the club through its first year.

The meetings of the early years were held at Randy's Restaurant on Rothesay Ave where dinners cost $2.00. Early fund raising projects were selling chocolate bars, light bulb sales, ticket raffles, and bottle drives. Our first service project was to purchase eye glasses for a needy grade 7 girl. Other projects included Christmas baskets, a 1954 Volkswagen van for the Simonds Fire Department, blood donor clinics, and various youth activities.

Planning for a Senior Citizens apartment building began in June 1970 with funding approval for Loch Lomond Villa to follow in September. Construction soon got underway and in 1973 the doors to Loch Lomond Villa opened with a high rise apartment building, a nursing home, and an auditorium . This complex also became the new home of the Simonds Lions Club.

Our Meetings

Regular Meetings:

Dinner meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month beginning at 6:30 pm at the Lions Den at 185 Loch Lomond Road, Saint John. Our excellent meals are prepared by our own members and the welcome mat is out for all Lions to come and join us for good food and fellowship.


Simonds Lions Club
221 Ellerdale Street
Apt. 625
Saint John, N.B.


Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online