PAINTED POST LIONS CLUB
Club #49500, Chartered 5/15/89
We are a community in Steuben County adjacent to Corning, NY which dates back to the Colonial Days and the Revolutionary War. At that time people visiting the area found an oak wood post which was square to a height of fur feet and then octagonal to the top. The surface was painted red and decorated with black figures, about half without heads. There were numerous references to this "painted post" by the early settlers who found several explanations from the Indians who put it there. For some it was regarded as a memorial to a fallen chieftain, for others a marker for assemblies and, a "war post" around which dances were held.
Since the original post there have been several other replacements and time, wind, and weather have taken their toll. The present monument goes back to around 1950.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.