WHO WE ARE
Lions are groups of service-minded people who are interested in improving their communities. To be a Lion is to be an active volunteer, a member of a respected international organization, a leader in the community and a friend to people in need. The Oshawa Airport Lions Club is one of 46,000 clubs, chartered under Lions Clubs International (LCI) across 209 countries worldwide. LCI is a volunteer organization, 1.4 million members strong and celebrating 100 years of service in 2017.
WHAT WE DO
As an international organization: we empower volunteers to serve their communities, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace and promote international understanding.
As a local group of volunteers: we have a lot of fun, working year round, planning and coordinating events which allow us to provide entertainment for the people in our community and support local charities. 100% of the profits go back to the community by donations to local, non-government funded charitable organizations.
OUR MOST POPULAR ANNUAL EVENTS
1) Annual Gingerbread House Decorating with Santa and Mrs. Claus at Mount Lawn Funeral Home (held the last Sunday of November or 1st Sunday of December).
2) Annual Breakfast with Santa at DeStefanos Funeral Home (held in December). The Lions prepare pancakes, sausages and offer other breakfast goodies. A great opportunity for the children to meet with Santa as well as receiving a gift. This event has been a success for the past 2 years.
3) Annual Easter Egg-stravaganza (held every Easter Sunday) at the Oshawa Municipal Airport.
4) Annual Golf Tournament in support of Lions Foundation of Canada sponsorship of the Austistic Guide Dog program. Inaugural event - August 2016.
IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT EVENT PLANNING AND RAISING FUNDS
The Oshawa Airport Lions Club also supports the following local organizations with financial donations and/or service projects:
- Denise House (provision of school supplies to the children in residence)
- Cornerstone Community Men's Hostel (donation of gift cards and sundry items)
- Simcoe Hall Settlement House (monetary donation as well as purchase of gifts and food for a family under the Christmas Hamper Program)
- Hearth Place Cancer Support centre (monetary donation)
- Boys & Girls Club of Oshawa (food preparation at annual Breakfast with the Elves event)
- Durham Catholic Services (monetary donation)
- St. Vincent's Kitchen (food preparation and monetary donation)
We also sponsor a local, needy family every Christmas through Simcoe Settlement House. We use a portion of the funds raised through our events and donate the necessities to ensure the children have proper winter clothing, educational supplies and receive a few toys as well as grocery gift cards to ensure the family has a nice Christmas dinner. Though the focus is primarily on the children, we also donate for the adult member of the family to ensure everyone has a VERY Merry Christmas.
We are contributing members to the International Lions Club Recycle for Sight program in that we collect and donate old, used and damaged glasses. This program cleans and fixes glasses and then ships them to needy communities in third world countries around the globe. An Optometrist then tests the eyes of the locals and matches them with recycled eyewear that closely matches their perscription. Over the years, this simple act of recycling has allowed hundreds of thousands of people to return to work and feed their family.
Since 2014, our club alone has collected and donated over 8450 pairs of glasses!
...AND WE'RE STILL COLLECTING!!!
We're always looking for new volunteers! So come on out and see what we're all about. For more information, please contact our Membership Chair, Lion Honey Lazoren at (905) 723-4720.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.