Meetings

Newark Lions Club History and Objectives

 

"Liberty, Intelligence, Our Nations Safety"

  

   The Newark Lions Club received its charter on June 30, 1920 with forty-two charter members. Prominent local attorney Henry C. Ashcraft was the first president of this newly formed club. For several years, the Newark Club has had the largest membership in District 13-K, which covers sixty clubs in twelve counties from Knox to the Ohio River county of Miegs. The Newark Lions Club has worked hard for many years to accomplish a better tomorrow for the blind and visually impaired, focusing specifically on the youth. The Newark Lions Club motto is: "WE SERVE" and the colors are red and white.

 

Background Information on Lions Club International

 

    In 1925, Helen Keller, a noted blind lecturer, asked the Lions Clubs International to become sponsors of programs for the blind and visually impaired. Her suggestion was adopted and it is now one of the major projects of all Lions Clubs throughout the world. Since then, Lions International has developed the largest membership of any service club in the world. 

 

As Lions, we are proud to be a part of this great international family.

 

  

 

Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online
Twitter