We proudly serve Nelson County, Virginia.
Our new Lions of Nelson was chartered in December, 2009.
Take a look at what we've done since 2009:
- Provided appoximately 40 eye exams and eyeglasses for needy Nelson County residents.
- Assisted in purchasing a Braille Note computer for a local teen attending The Virginia Schools of the Blind.
- Vision screened approximately 250 students at local elementary schools.
- Planted four trees in our community; two at a local elementary school, one at the County Courthouse, and one at a local medical center.
- Now have 'blue buckets' placed in the community to collect used eyeglasses for recycling and reuse around the world.
- Sent eight troop packages for Marines stationed overseas. Club members donated goods for troops that do not receive mail from home routinely.
- Co-sponsored Nelson County Community Day.
- Helped send a local high school student on an International Exchange Program.
- Held 2 annual rummage sales donating all proceeds to our sight and hearing assistance fund.
- Provided the means for a child in our community to attend 4-H Camp.
- Held 2 annual Fireworks sales events to help raise funds for eye exams, eyeglasses and hearing aids for people in our community.
- Our Lions members parked cars for several of events including the 'Festival of Lights' and 'The Summer Solstice Festival' which donated to our club to assist with community support.
- Built 6 raised vegetable beds at a local elementary school. Students planted vegetables in the spring that were distributed thru the County Food Pantry.
- We have placed and sold our traditional brooms made by the blind, in many supportive business locations. All proceeds from these broom sales go back into helping people in our county.
Membership is by invitation, and if you would like more information please contact us at:
- Email Membership Chair: Lion David at LionsOfNelson@aol.com and request more information
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.