Yearly stats for 2008-2009
Members as of March 28, 2009 is at 24, 16 male & 8 female
General Photos: Click on the Link below! Click on a thumbnail picture to select it. Click the "All Sizes" button at the top of the photo to enlarge it. Use either the "Back Button" or "Photostream Button" to return to the thumbnail pictures.
Note* Descriptions of the last page of photos hasn't been completed! They will be updated when I get a chance.
We have the following partners:
1. "Good Shepherd Parish",
2. "Beatrice Desloges Catholic High school",
3. "Colonel By High School",
4 "Hannah Billings Foundation",
5 "Navan Community Association",
6. "Cumberland Township Agricultural Society", and
7. "Ottawa Gothic Youth"
The Dolphin Fund ("Hannah Billings Foundation")
In memory of Hannah Billings - April 29th, 1996 to January 17th, 2007. Still waiting for incorporation. The Foundation has some limited funds directed by the Club, with input from her family.
To date the fund has dispersed $31,000.00 to several needy families to help with their expenses during a child's illness, assisted two other families with their child's funeral expenses, make annual donations to the Cancer Foundation of Eastern Ontario Telethon and the CHEO Telethon. Fundraising will be ongoing with several raffles, a possible Golf Tournament, Dinner & an Auction. The fund also receives donations from individuals, these have included various Lions Clubs, other service clubs , Ottawa Firefighters, St Mary's Anglican Church Women, and the Juvenile Diebetes Assoc. Golf Tournament.
"No Child Without Program"
A five year partnership between Canadian Lions and the Canadian Medic-Alert Foundation. The aim is to supply medic alert bracelets or necklaces free of charge to the 300,000 Canadian school children who need one from age 4 to their 14th birthday . All associated fees and expenses are also covered. To date the Club has sponsored the Ottawa Children's Treatment Centre School and in partnership with the Cumberland Lions Club, Heritage Public School in Navan. The plan for our Club is to cover the remaining area schools serving students from rural Cumberland .
"Ottawa Children's Treatment Centre"
When the Club was investigating sponsoring their School we discovered the following facts. The Centre is not part of the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) and doesn't receive any money from the hospital's fundraising. The Centre had 3,290 child clients, has 40,000 client visits annually and gets another 1,500 referals a year. They are responsible for all special needs children in Eastern Ontario (Champlain District, Northern Ontario and the Eastern Arctic). They have several satellite sites including CHEO, Cornwall, Thurston Road Ottawa and Renfrew. In addition they have an in-home respite program for frail weak or imobile children.
The Centre got its start in 1951 with a house and $5,000.00 donated by the Ottawa Central Lions Club (Now the Ottawa Vanier Lions Club). Stuck between CHEO and Rogers House almost everyone thinks they are part of CHEO, initially including the clients families. The Navan Lions are looking at ways to get them some needed support to help them out.
1. The sale of "Senator's Tickets" for the March 11th game;(MADE APPROXIMATELY $800.00 - NOT BAD FOR THE FIRST ATTEMPT)
2. A "Night At The Slots" on April 3; (CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF PARTICIPANTS)
3. The "Heritage Steam & Power Show" (Jointly with Cumberland Lions & City of Ottawa) the last weekend in May at the Cumberland Museum,
4. Monthly "Charity Supper" in the Navan Curling Club, May 22nd, 2009 - Whole Roast Pig & Roasted Potatoes.
5. Breakfast for up to 2,000 motorcyclists on June 6th & 7th at the Fairgrounds. Cumberland & Orleans Lions have been invited to participate as a joint fundraising venture.
6. Possibility of participating along with Gloucester North, Cumberland & Orleans Lions in a July First event at Petrie Island. Has been scrubbed by all Clubs as we couldn't come to an equitable agreement with the organizers.
7. Navan Fair August 6-7-8-9, 2009. The Club will have a float in the Fair Parade on Saturday & an entry in the Bed Race on Sunday.
Raffle for HD TV, "50/50 Draw for the Hannah Billings Fund", and $5 parking on two donated lots.