Meetings

A Brief History of Lions Clubs International

In 1917, Melvin Jones, a 38-year-old Chicago business leader, told members of his local business club they should reach beyond business issues and address the betterment of their communities and the world. Jones' group, the Business Circle of Chicago, agreed.

After contacting similar groups around the United States, an organizational meeting was held on June 7, 1917, in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The new group took the name of one of the invited groups, the "Association of Lions Clubs," and a national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, USA in October of that year. A constitution, by-laws, objectives and a code of ethics were approved. And the rest is history.

Our 46,000 clubs and 1.4+ million members make us the world's largest service club organization. We're also one of the most effective. Our members do whatever is needed to help their local communities. Everywhere we work, we make friends. With children who need eyeglasses, with seniors who don’t have enough to eat and with people we may never meet.

As we approach our 100th anniversary in 2017, it's moment to look back on our long and proud tradition of service and the numerous achievements of our association.

Mount Brydges Lions Club Projects since 1969

Year

Project

2016

New project: Upgrade the Bush trails to wheelchair accessible level, identify and label the tree species along the trails.

Update some playground equipment in the bush/park between the pavilions.

2015

Planted 50 trees in the Lions Park

2014

Opened a new Splash Pad in the centre of Mount Brydges – raised about $150 00000 for the project.

2013

Added more musical instruments to Caradoc Central Public School.

2011

Supplied musical instruments to Caradoc Central Public School.

2005

Built Skateboard park and with the Lionesses at the Legion Ball Diamond.

2000

Built gazebo in the park and purchase new playground equipment with the Lionesses.

1990

Sponsored Melbourne Lions Club

Opening of the new Community Centre.

Irrigated the soccer field between the arena and the Lions Barn for $10 00000

Culled our bush and sold a quantity of logs. Removed Ash trees

1982

Built 2nd Lions Pavilion in the Park

Lions Youth Camp Started using the park.

Insulated ice area in arena

Supplied paint and fixtures for new building.

Purchased 8 acres south of Lions Drive from Tom & Lena Fowler for $25 00000 and initiated plans for the construction of the new Community Centre with the Lionesses

1980

Built first Park Pavilion and installed some playground equipment.

Replaced all glass around area ice rink for $18 00000 – shared costs with Lioness Club.

1979

Erected the Lions Storage Barn west of the Arena and built Park Land and Soccer fields

1973

Located a Ball Diamond north of the arena and built washrooms.

Shared costs with the Lioness Club initiative for the Ball Diamond Washroom project.

The Arena was opened for the 73-74 season.

1972

Purchased approx 30 acres from Clarence Snelgrove and donated 10 acres to the Township of Caradoc for the Tri-Township Arena shared ownership - Caradoc, Delaware,  Lobo,& Chippewa.

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online
Twitter