Lions are nearing our 100 year anniversary of service - see what was going on in 1917 that led to this great organization.
(And we are still changing lives today!)
It is Winterfest Time Again!
Part of a drive to feed 25 million people
Join the Marana Host Lions in gathering food and dollars for the Marana Food Bank at the 5th annual Winterfest January 23, 10 - 3 at the Marana Market Place, corner of Oeangegrove and River Rd.
Sponsored by the Marana Host Lions Club, this year's event offers vendors, live music, family entertainment, great food, a car show and more - including Dan Heston running two back to back marathons. Come out to support Dan by running with him part way, donating to the foodbank in his name, or by cheering him on as he passes through the Winterfest site each lap of his journey.
Marana Host Lions President(2014 / 2016) Renee Abbett says the Lions' will be raising money for the foodbank as part of Lions Clubs International Relieving the Hunger Challenge to alleviate hunger for 25 million people in the month of January..
"Each night, about 200 million children around the world go to bed hungry. We don't want any Marana child - not even one! - to feel the pain of that hunger," Abbett says of the club's decision to host Winterfest.
Last year Winterfest raised about $14,000 for the food bank. According to co-coordinator Kathy Miller, the Lions hope to surpass that amount this year.
"We are going for $20,000 - so come on out and help us get there," Miller says.
Individuals interested in helping the Lions at Winterfest - in making a donation - or in having a vendor booth at the event may contact Kathy at Canyon Community Bank, 544-2900.
Whenever a Lions Club gets together, problems get smaller. And communities get better. That's because we help where help is needed – in our own communities and around the world – with unmatched integrity and energy.
Come volunteer with the Marana Host Lions
Helping Marana students learn to read
Helping children see better
Promoting international understanding and world peace
Meeting community needs as they arise
Do you have the heart of a Lion?
Come volunteer with us - for a day or a lifetime. Bring your ideas for service to make Marana even better.
Meeting times to meet your schedule:
7 a.m. first Tuesday of each month at Light the Way Church
6 p.m. Monday before the third Tuesday of each month at the Abbott Library.
No attendance requirements, of course - but we would love to get to know you!
Call today to get started - 520 405-9568.
Or email MaranaHostLionPresident@gmail.com
Marana Host Lions - working together to make Marana an even better place to live!
- Donated water bottles to the Marana Swim Team
- Donated over $600 in books to Friends of the Library in Tucson and Marana
- Held a pancake breakfast to raise money for the new vision center at MHC
- Collected, counted and sorted over 1,000 pair of used eyeglasses
- Raised funds to purchase award winning books for 16 MUSD school libraries
- Screened the vision of students at Marana elementary schools
- Supported the new Lions Vision Center at MHC Healthcare
- Collected eyeglasses for the Arizona Lions Eyeglass Recycling Terminal in Tucson
- Helped to raise funds to empower blind individuals to more independent living through Arizona School for Deaf and Blind and EMVIA
- Helped to bring 8 girls from 8 different countries to Arizona for a month of travel and homestays with Lions
- Supported Lions Camp Tatiyee in the White Mountains - Arizona's own camp for people with special needs
Do you have eyeglasses to recycle? Marana Host Lions collect and process used glasses for reuse in developing countries.
Lions Eyeglass collection boxes are located at:
- Canyon Community Bank, 8631 N. Silverbell Road
- MHC Health Care, 13395 N. Marana Main Street
- Continental Computer Services, 111 North Main (Oracle and Speedway) in Tucson
- At all the MUSD Elementary Schools
- Safeway Foods on Silverbell and Twinpeaks.
Did you know? Lion Joe Preston is 2014/15 President of Lions Clubs International. He is from Arizona!
Call or email today to learn more about the Lions in Marana. Let's work together!
It is Winterfest time - Follow Winterfest on Facebook too!
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.