“New Century” as a concept was envisioned a few years ago by Lions Clubs International (LCI) to attract younger members of society into the fold of Lionism. World over, members of New Century Lions Clubs are 35 years of age or less at the time of joining.
Hyderabad New Century Lions Club (HNCLC), formed in the year 2007, was amongst the first few New Century Lions Clubs started anywhere in the world. It is the first such Club of its kind in Andhra Pradesh. Lions Club of Hyderabad North, chartered in 1964, has sponsored the Club.
Over 35 like-minded and dynamic men and women from diverse walks of life have joined the Club to contribute their mite for the cause of humanity. The members represent a broad cross-section of society ranging from doctors, engineers, management graduates, industrialists, bankers, businessmen, management consultants, chartered accountants and artists – all of whom are young, vibrant, energetic, fun-loving and successful in their respective spheres of life. The collective experiences of all have been brought together for the benefit of society and the community we live in.
The Club’s activities cover many areas of service. In just 3 years of its existence, the club has helped bring about a positive change in the lives of underprivileged children, deprived adults and HIV- afflicted patients. Here is a brief of some of the service activities conducted:
Empowering the Needy:
- Provided 7 sewing machines to underprivileged women for better livelihood
- Donated Rs. 21,000/- to Narayan Sansthan to provide modified vehicles to disabled persons
Hygiene and Sanitation:
- Provided water purifiers for the children of Bala Nikethan and Balika Nikethan, homes for destitute children
- Equipped a home for mentally challenged children with 20 sets of sanitary ware and fittings
Smile and Grow:
- Donated new school uniforms and shoes to 54 children of a Government School
- Donated notebooks and text books to over 300 school children in schools around the city
Focus on Health:
- Conducted 3 Mega Health Camps covering more than 500 needy patients
- Provided the required medicines and further treatment to over 50 patients
- Conducted 4 voluntary blood donation camps and collected 324 units of blood
- Conducted 4 eye camps at schools, benefitting over 1500 needy children
- Conducted 1 eye camp at a home for the aged and screened 50 needy patients
- Conducted 1 health camp in a rural area, with over 180 patients attended
- Donated audio teachings aids to 10 blind children
- Provided 2 drinking water tanks to flood-affected people in Kurnool District
- Provided foodgrains and groceries to Bala Nikethan and Balika Nikethan – orphanages for children, and Rakshana Deepam- Home for HIV-afflicted children
- Provided woolen wear to children of Rakshana Deepam
- Provided woolen blankets to 50 homeless people at Ameerpet and Yusufguda
- Installed a Washing Machine at Rakshana Deepam
- Celebrated Teachers Day and honoured 9 teachers
- Participated in anti-tobacco awareness programs
- Celebrated Independence Day with children at Sadhana – a school for the mentally challenged
- Conducted drawing and painting competitions at a government school
- Provided computers to 2 deserving children
- Provided better education by giving scholarships to 11 children
HNCLC is the first Club in Lions District 324-C2 to launch its own websitewww.hnclc.com which acts as a medium to effectively communicate to the world at large about the activities and service initiatives of the club.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.