HISTORY OF THE CREATION OF DIST. 322-F
Dist. 322F: The States of Sikkim, Revenue District of Malda, Dakshin Dinajpur, Uttar Dinajpur, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri and Coochbehar in the State of West Bengal (India) and the country of Bhutan. The proposal was approved by Board of Directors of the International Association of Lions Clubs and District 322F came into effect from 1 -7-2000.
Lions Club of Gairkata, Dist. 322-F
Lions Club of Gairkata, Dist. 322-F, Zone-I, Region-VI was inaugurated on 17th December, 2001 and chartered on 15th January, 2002. It runs a low cost pathological centre Lions Seva Sadan, where apart from different kinds of pathological tests, X-Ray, E.C.G., 24 Hrs. Oxygen supply facility and Day & Night Ambulance Service is also provided. At present the club has 28 active members.
PRESIDENT'S REPORT OF ACTIVITIES IN THE L.Y. 2009-2010
Hello all my Lion friends,
Nothing gives greater pleasure to a true Lion more than serving the society for the greatest of all causes known as humanity. As we approach the penultimate phase of this lionistic year we are in a constant pursuit to ‘Move to Grow’ with newer ideas and missions before us. This report highlights all that our club and its most industrious and enthusiastic members have been trying to do during the wonderful lionistic year 2009-2010.
1. INSTALLATION CEREMONY for the new office-bearers and two new members viz.- Lion Kalyani Prasad and Lion Subhomay Dutta for the lionistic year 2009-2010 was held on 25th July, 2009 in which MJF Lion Saibal Dasgupta (IPDG) was the Installation Officer and the event was attended by MJF Lion Binod Kr.Agarwal (VDG-2), Lion K.K. Chhawachharia Region Chairperson (Region-VI), Lion Pulak Bhattacharyya DC Lions Image, Lion Jayanta Bardhan DC Permanent Own Centre and Lion Mahabir Prasad DC Oxygen Bank.
2. The DISTRICT CABINET INSTALLATION & AWARD CEREMONY organised at Sevin Kingdom, Siliguri was attended by the President, Secretary and some other members of our club.
3. INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION in the club was held on 15th August, 2009 with flag-hoisting and singing the National Anthem by the President and members.This was followed by distribution of Communal Harmony stickers and sweets among poor children of the locality. A tea and snack party for members and their families was also arranged to foster fellowship and harmony.
4. A FREE BLOOD-GROUP DETECTION CAMP was organised on 27th & 28th August, 2009 by the club for school children of Mount Carmel School, Dhupguri Road, Jalpaiguri in which Lions Seva Sadan (A Unit of Lions Club of Gairkata), detected the blood-groups of 398 children under the supervision of Lion Dr. P.K. Karki (Past Project Chairperson, Lions Seva Sadan). The camp was also attended by other lion members.
5. Our club organised a FREE DRINKING WATER & SHARBAT CAMP on 28th September, 2009 (Durga Puja Dashami ) at Gairkata Bisarjan Ghaat in which nearly 3000 people were served by the President, Secretary, Treasurer and many other members of the club. The camp was sponsored by Lion Tarachand Saraogi. Our ambulance service was also made available to the people on the occasion.
6. We attended the ZONE CUM REGION MEET held at Nagrakata in September, 2009.
7. The president and few members of our club attended DEEPOTSAV, the DISTRICT DEEPAWALI MEET held on 11th October, 2009, at Savin Kingdom, Dagapur, Siliguri.
8. Our club organised the LIONS PEACE POSTER CONTEST on 1st November, 2009 at Gairkata Girls High School, Gairkata in which 75 school children from five different schools including St. James’ High School, Binnaguri, participated.The competition was judged by the Senior Art & Craft teacher of St. James’ High School, Mr. Arobinda Mitra. The winner was Aditya Roy Pradhan of class VII from Gairkata High School (XII). Lion Binod Agarwal VDG-2 gave away the trophy and certificate to the winner. The judge Mr. A. Mitra was felicitated with a Lions Memento and Certificate of Honour by Lion H. P. Saraogi & Lion Mahabir Prsad at the President’s residence.
9. Lions Club of Gairkata organized a LIONS QUEST SEMINAR at Gairkata High School (XII) on 17th November, 2009, in which nearly 140 students of the school from classes VIII & IX participated. The seminar followed the Teachers’ Training Workshop held at Coochbehar in which two teachers from this schoolwere sponsored and sent up by L.C. Gairkata. The seminar was conducted by Lion Madhuri Mukherjee, D.C. Lions Quest and attended by Lion Binod Agarwal, V.D.G. 2nd, Lion Ranesh Ch. Roy Talukder, Reg. Chp. Reg. VII from Falakata, Lion Biswanath Poddar, Quest Advisor from Mal, Lion Mahabir Prasad, D.C. Oxygen Bank, Lion Maya Chakraborty from Coochbehar Greater and Lion Subhomoy Banerjee, President and Quest Advisor from Gairkata. Other members of L.C. Gairkata and teachers of Gairkata High School (XII) were also present at the seminar.
10. On the eve of CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR, a colourful dinner & dance party was organised by the president at his residence on 27th December, 2009, in which the PST and members had a great time and rekindled their spirit of fellowship.
11. Lions of revenue district Jalpaiguri & Coochbehar celebrated the LIONS CARNIVAL 2010 at Madhubani Nature Park, Gairkata on 3rd January, 2010. Nearly 500 Lions and members of their families enjoyed the day long event which was attended by Special Guests like Lion Dr. R.K. Agarwal, Dist. Governor, Dist. 322F, the two V.D.G.s and other distinguished guests and district dignitaries.
12. The president and members observed REPUBLIC DAY in the club with flag hoisting and distribution of sweets to small children at Lions Seva Sadan on 26th January, 2010. A group photo session was also organised for the members present on the occasion.
13. EYE-SCREENING CAMPS June‘09 to February ‘10 were organised as per schedule in which so far 734 patients have undergone eye-screening and treatment and a total of 43 patients have been sent up for surgery at Lions Netralaya, Siliguri.
14. SPECIAL EYE SCREENING CAMPS have also been organised by our club in association with Lions Netralaya,Siliguri in the tea gardens & local areas during this lionistic year. We have organised camps at Gairkata T.E., Sarugaon T.E., Gilandi, Ethelbari and a few more remote areas. On 26th March, 2010 we are going to organise one more such camp in Nangdala T.E.
15. The pending DFF contribution pledged by the immediate past president and members of the club in the previous lionistic year (2008-2009) was cleared by us in the first week of August 2009 under the initiative of the president Lion Subhomoy Banerjee & Lion Mahabir Prasad, D.C. Oxygen Bank to the IPDG Lion Saibal Dasgupta MJF .
16. Our members attended the DISTRICT CONFERENCE, NAVRANG held at Orbit, Siliguri on 13th & 14th February, 2010 and enjoyed the event to their utmost satisfaction.
17. On 21st February, 2010, the president and his wife Lion Papia Banerjee attended the MASS MARRIAGE CEREMONY organised by Lions Club of Jalpaiguri at the Town Club Stadium, Jalpaiguri.
18. I also take this opportunity to proudly announce that this year we will set up a VISION CENTRE at our Lions Seva Sadan, for which we have received the necessary equipments from Lions Netralaya, Siliguri, to promote better and more effective service to fight blindness.
19. On 8th May, 2010 our club organised a BLOOD DONATION CAMP which we could not organise in the last lionistic year i.e. 2008-2009. A total of 22 bottles of blood was collected from donors and handed over to Jalpaiguri District Hospital blood bank, .
20. The second issue of our very own club magazine THE DOOARS LION is being published herewith in June 2010.
21. Last but not the least, we have already received the DFF grant of Rs. 75,000/- for the purchase of a new X-Ray Machine for our Seva Sadan which will replace our old machine in order to provide better service to the people of our locality. The remaining amount is to be raised through bank loan since the new X-Ray machine will cost Rs. 2,75,000/-
22. Apart from this our low cost PATHOLOGICAL LABORATORY (Lions Seva Sadan), X-RAY, E.C.G., DAY & NIGHT AMBULANCE SERVICE and 24 HRS. OXYGEN SERVICE are all running well.
WE have tried our level best to SERVE and we sincerely hope that in the years to come, our little rural club will ‘Move to Grow’ even more than it already has.
Lion Subhomoy Banerjee
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.