Meetings
Members

 

FLEETWOOD & CLEVELEYS LIONS MEETING HELD AT NORTH EUSTON HOTEL

ON 12TH SEPTEMBER 2018

Present at Meeting:

President: Margaret Purcell

Members: Val Barton, Denis Bowker, Peter Davies, Pamela Hamilton, Margaret Harris, David Howie, Susan Howie, Paul Keirby, Donald Macdonald, Ann McLoughlin, Mary Ann Woodman,

 

The President, Lion Margaret Purcell opened the Meeting and welcomed all the Members with a special warm welcome to Lion Mary Ann Woodman who was attending the Meeting as Zone Chairman.

Apologies for Absence: Ian Clare, Steve Morley, Carol O’Brian, Cyril Layland, James Woods, Barbara Woodman, Stuart Gratrix, Fred Riley, Rachel Smith, Susan Holmes

Minutes The Members confirmed that they had all received a copy of the Minutes of the previous Meeting.

Proposed by: Mary Ann Woodman

Seconded by: Margaret Purcell

Approved by all

 

President’s Report Margaret Purcell

President Margaret reported on the Beach Clean that she attended with Lion Stuart. New Lion David Howie also attended, even though it was his birthday that day. The President told the Meeting that the next date for the Beach Clean was the 20th September at 10.30 a.m. weather permitting.

Lion Margaret had visited Lion Ian Clare at his home a couple of times and reported that Ian seemed to be improving. He was seeing a Consultant about his condition. There may be an update from Lion Paul during the course of the Meeting. Margaret had also made courtesy calls to Lions Carole O’Brian and Cyril Layland as neither had attended any Business Meetings for some time.

There had been a Zone Meeting in Fleetwood recently which President Margaret had attended.

President Margaret also mentioned the Socials which had been arranged by Lions Ann and Pamela. She thanked them for all their good work and said that the August Social, “Ferry Across the Wyre” was particularly enjoyable, and was a great start to her August holidays.

Finally, President Margaret told the Meeting that the Headmaster of Great Arley School Thornton, would like Members of the Club to visit to see the completed outdoor Gym. Members will remember that the Club had donated the profits from the Summer Ball in 2017 towards the completion of the Gym. If anyone would like to accompany the President on a visit to the School, please let her know.

Secretary’s Report Denis Bowker

Lion Denis reported on the District Governor’s Newsletter, the Club was mentioned in his Update.

H also mentioned the Weekly Newsletter with News from around the District re Charter Dates etc.

Lion Denis also commented on the following:

Updated PLI Certificates,

Resolutions for Extraordinary Convention

Any Resolutions for the 105BN Convention to be submitted by 2nd November 2018.

Standing Orders for Convention re process of information

LCIF Appeal for Indian Flooding Disaster

Circus Stars

Convention Call (MD Swansea) 2019

 

Activities Report Val Barton

Report to follow when received

 

Welfare Report Margaret Harris

Lion Margaret told the Meeting that she hadn’t received any requests for money recently. If any Member hears of anyone urgently in need of finance, please let Margaret know.

Margaret had looked into the question of “Defibrillators’, and had “Googled” the British Heart Foundations Web Site to see if she could find out any more information about them. A couple of points came to light:

(a) Defibrillators have to be available to the Public at all times (day and night) and sited externally

(b) A Training Kit (which allows members of the public to be trained in CPR) would be available if it was part-funded – cost £600. On payment of the £600 this could be ordered.

(c) A Cabinet would also have to be provided – containing a power supply which would enable the Cabinet to be heated in colder weather – full cost would be roughly in the region of £1,300.

Margaret also put forward the idea of possibly “ring fencing” money raised from smaller charity events, instead of asking for a larger sum all at once.

An Invitation had been received from N Vision for Members to attend a Volunteer Lunch at Sharples Hall on 4th October 2018, 12 noon till 2.00 pm. This is to thank all Members who have helped with the Talking Newspapers. Please let Margaret know if any Member wishes to attend

Finally, Margaret told the Meeting that she would present an update on the Circus Stars Autumn Big Top Show once her Committee had seen all the details

 

Almoner’s Report Paul Keirby

Lion Paul reported on the following Members who have been missing from Meetings due to ill health:

Lion Fred Riley:

Fred has been suffering from Inner Ear problems which has resulted in him keep falling over. Paul had sent a “Get Well” card to Fred at his home.

Lion Carole O’Brian:

Attended with Lion Pamela Hamilton at Carole’s house with flowers and a card. It was Carole’s birthday, coinciding with the courtesy visit. Carole is well in herself, but is expecting to go into hospital for the operation for the removal of her eye sometime before the end of September.

Lion Ian Clare:

Has now been seen by a Consultant. His tablets have been reduced. He is a lot more mobile and he is experiencing fewer problems with his speech. He now has an emergency alarm to wear.

Lion Paul also mentioned he had been in touch with Richard from “Aiming Higher”. Richard told him that Kate (who had visited the Club in the past) had left. Richard also told Paul that the Club was financially stable and had backing for the next three years. So if the Club voted to appoint the Charity as the Principal Charity for the Swimmarathan next year there would be no problems or worries that the Aiming Higher Charity might be in danger of closure.

Lion Mary Ann Woodman then gave the Club an update on Lion Barbara Woodman. Barbara has to have major surgery shortly. Barbara is naturally worried about this. She has not attended this evening’s meeting because she wants time to think about all that is about to happen and needed to have time on her own to come to terms with everything. The Club asked for their best wishes to be passed on to Barbara.

Social Report Ann McLoughlin/Pamela Hamilton

Lion Pamela reminded the Meeting that the “Lights” Social is tomorrow – meet at Tram Terminus (North Euston) at 6.00 pm. for journey to North Pier. Alternatively those Members who want to join at North Pier should be there for 6.45 pm. At 7.00pm Members will then join the Heritage Tram for the Ride through the Lights and Fish and Chip Supper courtesy of Harry Ramsdens.

The October Social is at the Marine Hall Fleetwood on Wednesday the 24th October. Lion Pamela will telephone later this week to see who is going. The Show is “Annie” – the cost/times will be passed on when known.

 

Zone Chairman’s Report Mary Ann Woodman

See separate report

Publicity Stuart Gratrix (absent on holiday)

Nothing to Report

Health and Safety Mary Ann Woodman

Nothing to Report

Membership Peter Davies

Nothing to Report

Youth Peter Davies

Lion Peter told the Meeting that he wanted to raise two items:

First he had asked the District Officer for details of the Lions Youth Ambassador Award but had not yet had any reply.

Second he also reported on the request for assistance from The Friends of Fleetwood Memorial Park. He circulated the letter and plan relating to the playground amongst the Members. The letter was then passed to Lion Margaret Harris for her to consider with her Welfare Committee.

 

Talking Newspaper Date of next Meeting: 15th October 2018

Tail Twister Pamela Hamilton (in absence of Fred Riley)

Collected from those who had “sinned”

Wine Raffle Denis Bowker

60s Club (i) Fred Riley

(ii) Jean West

Diary Dates

13th September Club Social – “Great British Night Out” – Lights Tour

15th September Street Collection – Cleveleys Town Centre

15th September Bolton Charter

28th September Zone Quiz in Garstang

7th October Grange and District Charter

10th October Business Meeting

15th October Talking Newspapers

21st October Windermere Charter

24th October Social “Annie” at Marine Hall, Fleetwood

 

AOB

Ann McLoughlin Ann told the Meeting that her husband had recently celebrated his 60th birthday and wished to donate £60 to the Club to help with Administration costs. All Members present asked that their appreciation of this should be passed on to Dennis McLoughlin.

 

Val Barton Asked if she could borrow Banners from Lion Fred Riley

 

Peter Davies Told Members about the Heritage Weekend coming up, and mentioned all the Heritage Sites in Fleetwood would be open to the public i.e. Museum, Mount, Marine Hall, Euston Hotel etc.

Donald Macdonald Thanked Lions Mary Ann Woodman and Denis Bowker for bringing him in his wheelchair to the Meeting. Much appreciated.

Denis Bowker Lion Denis mentioned that his late Wife, Nada and her two sisters were remembered in the Illuminations on the Cliffs.

Pamela Hamilton Reminded Members to meet at the Tram Terminus at 6.00pm. tomorrow evening for the Lions Social

 

Nothing to Report from the remaining Members present at the Meeting

 

Lions Toast Lions Clubs International

Close of Meeting: 9.10 p.m.

 

 

Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online
Twitter