Denton Lions Club
Chartered March 20, 1944
We have been a big part of the Denton community throughout our history with projects such as providing lunches for school children, paying the electric bill of the library, starting a Summer Recreation program.
In more recent years, we provided money and manpower to build the Evelyn Gallimore Pavillion at Harrison Park; sponsored athletic facilities at South Davidson High School; supported the Denton Library Expansion Project; helped to network Denton Elementary School.
We are the oldest continuous civic club in Denton. From a high of over 100 members, we still maintain about 40 members in a town with 1500 population.
Of course, we are very active with Lions objectives -- providing eyeglasses for those in need and providing service to the visually impaired.
Denton has been the home club of five District Governors: E.O. Lane 1952-53; Dr. E.M. Hunt 1962-63; Dr. Jerry S. Bates 1965-66; Jack D. Briggs 1967-69; and Theresa Wallace Matthews, 2009 - 2010.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.