The Danville Lions Club was Chartered in 1939 and was sponsored as a new Club by the Fredericktown and Mount Vernon Lions Clubs. Since the Clubs beginning, it has truly lived up the Lions Motto "WE SERVE."
Early on in the 1940's and 1950's, the Danville Lions Club sponsored and equipped Lions Park in Danville, constructed a road to the park; Purchased electric vision charts for testing eyes and donated to the school, contributed to the Danville Fire Department for equipment and sponsored dinners to show appreciation of their good work, and sponsored banquets for athletes and presented awards to outstanding players.
In more recent years, the Club has worked on the following community projects:
- coordinated the effort and fundraising to reconstruct the concession stand and restrooms at the park; Donated to many local families in need;
- Purchased a canine helper for Danville man in wheel chair;
- Sponsored glaucoma screenings;
- purchased hundreds of eyeglasses for needy area residents;
- been a continual sponsor of the local Boy Scout program;
- sponsored activities for/and contributed to the Danville Schools, Danville Band and all of the Sports programs;
- coordinated the effort and fundraising to install a sidewalk for the school children to walk between the schools.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.