Greetings from the first National Forensic League Lions Club in the world!
Who are we and what is an NFL Lions Club?
Our NFL Lions Club is a specialty club of Lions Clubs International focused on supporting the mission of the National Forensic League. As Lions, we are empowered to serve our communities, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace, and promote international understanding through support for the spoken arts. Our goal, as an NFL Lions Club is to undertake activities that empower every child in the United States (and someday, the world) to become an effective communicator, ethical individual, critical thinker, and leader in a democratic society.
How does Lions Clubs International and the National Forensic League benefit our individual members?
There are many benefits to our individual members of the Dakota NFL Lions Clubs. The Lions Club organization provides a way for each of us to remain actively connected to local NFL chapter activities. Our members use and enhance our unique skills and resources as we serve the needs of the NFL chapters and plan ways to strengthen the activities of the NFL in the district. The NFL provides a special focus for our activities, enabling us to serve our communities and support the forensic activities that were so much a part of our lives as current or former NFL members, coaches, judges, parents, or friends of the NFL.
What kind of service projects do we plan to undertake?
- Assist with judging, coaching, or managing NFL district contests or other forensic contests.
- Offer certified judge training for NFL and other forensic competitions to increase the number of trained judges available to serve.
- Conduct public programs supporting forensics.
- Work with NFL district officers to encourage schools without NFL chapters to consider joining the NFL.
- Fund raise for the benefit of students from the district NFL chapters to attend and compete at the NFL National Tournament.
- Incorporate the international projects and goals of Lions Clubs International into the forensic experience (e.g., collect food items as entry fees to donate to the LCI hunger campaign, collect eye glasses at tournaments for LCI sight programs, present public programs about the need to plant trees to restore the environemnt as part of the LCI President's 2011-2012 theme).
- Participate in "Speak Up for Service" as a multi-district event.
Watch for updates and more information as we develop our programs! There are over 100 NFL districts in the United States. What would happen if NFL Lions Clubs started in every district to provide a way for the individuals interested in supporting the NFL to continue their service as they leave the competitive context and become active in community and civic affairs?
We believe in what we are doing and we know we can make a difference! If you are interested in joining us, view the "How to Join" tab!
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.