Cleveland Lions Club Members with Spouses
History of the Cleveland Lions Club
The Cleveland Lions Club held its charter night on August 4, 1949 at the Cleveland Presbyterian Church with twenty-seven charter members. The club was sponsored by the Statesville, Lions Club, and Charles Kirchner of Greensboro was District Governor. For the first six years, the members were fed by church ladies and the Homemakers Club.
The Lions’ Den was built in 1955 on land donated by Ruth Brown. Lumber and other materials were donated by members of the club and others in the community. The approximate cost was $10,000. Most of the construction work was done by the members. Storm windows, air conditioning, and other improvements were added later to include a major kitchen renovation in 2003.
Currently, the Cleveland Lions Club sponsors the Joe W. Hall Memorial Breakfast, which raises the fund for the scholarship given in his name; the annual Town of Cleveland Christmas Parade; a Fall Brunswick Stew, a Christmas BBQ; and a winter, spring and summer breakfast to raise money for service projects. In recent years, we have hosted international exchange students as well.
Our first president was William Rumple, Jr. Other notable events include Travis E. Hendren serving as District Governor 1961-1962 and Gary L. Steele was awarded the Ben Q. Foreman award 2004-2005. Cleveland was honored to be the home club of a District Governor during the 2010-2011 year, Gary L. Steele.
For the past several years, in addition to meeting all Lions International and District goals, the Cleveland Lions Club has contributed at least $100.00 per member to the White Cane Drive, now called Brighter visions
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.