Welcome to Chanctonbury Lions Club Website
Some information and background for you.
Chanctonbury Lions Club was formed and chartered as a service club in 1959 under the auspices of Lions Clubs International which came to these shores in 1950 from the USA. Our motto is 'WE SERVE’.
Since formation, we have always been a well supported club and many thousands of pounds have been raised for good causes and this still continues.
In the previous 2 completed years to end of June 2014 (our year ranges from lst July to 30th June) we have raised over £40000 from sale of pre-used books cds dvds records and some donations .
Here are some details of how the club is administrated :-
- Our area consists of Storrington Pulborough Steyning West Chiltington Ashington and other villages close to these
- We are part of Lions Clubs international, the largest service organisation in the world.
- Our club consists of a group of service minded men and women who wish to help those who are less fortunate.
- Every member of the Club pays an annual membership fee that is used towards the running and administration of the Club.
- Our members give their own time freely to raise funds and to help others who may have run into hard times. Our main efforts are directed to the selling of second hand books.
- You may well have visited our bookstall in Storrington centre that we endeavour to visit every Saturday morning or at Steyning on Farmers Market days which are on the first Saturday in every month. Sometimes we are defeated by the weather.
- We do not use any monies from fundraising for administration. Only genuine costs and expenses are deducted. These costs include materials and equipment (such as our 2 vans) without which the raising of funds for charitable purposes would be very difficult.
- Every application for help is given careful consideration by the Club and all decisions are made by a vote of all members present at the business meeting.
All persons of any age or gender are welcome to join our club. Or you could give it a try without commitment!!
We are invited to many fetes and village days and also hold 3 to 4 book fairs annually but recently we have had to reduce our presence and decline invitations due to being unable to provide members to staff the bookstalls.
Obviously by reducing our attendance at these events we reduce our income. This affects our ability to give monies to deserving causes.
lf you would like to be a member or have some interest in helping us please contact Malcolm Biggs whose details can be found by clicking on 'contact us' above left.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.