Some History on Our Club
In 1924 four men, Lawrence Hammer, Jack Helms, Jerry Rucker and a Lions International organizer assembled at Hotel Bristol to formulate plans for organizing a Lions Club in Bristol, VA-TN. As a result of this meeting, a group of 24 men were signed up and received their Charter from Lions International on October 29, 1924. On December 5, 1924, the Lions Club of Bristol, TN-VA held their Charter Presentation Banquet at Everett's Cafe. The Bristol Host Lions Club was affiliated with the Virginia State Lions and was the 7th club formed in the state of Virginia.
The Club has had one member to serve as International Director, Joseph "Uncle Joe" Lawson, and has had six Lions to serve as Past District Governors. Bristol Host Lions organized and started the Bristol Evening Lions, Goodson Lions Club, Damascus Lions Club and Kingsport Lions Club.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.