WE ARE THE LIONS
Lions Clubs International are the largest voluntary service organisation in the world. Worldwide membership totals more than 1,300,000 and Clubs exist in more than 200 Countries. Each Club works to serve its own local community, as well as national and international projects. In 2008 Lions Clubs International were voted the best Non Governmental service organisation in the world. As a worldwide organisation we can, through our local clubs, provide immediate emergency help at the point of need.
BILSTON & WILLENHALL LIONS Club was "chartered" in 1984. At present it has 10 members of a wide range of professions and trades, ages ranging from 30 to 80 years.
The towns of Bilston and Willenhall both have a long industrial history, Bilston predominately was a steel making town, and Willenhall was the leading town in the lock industry when this part of South East Staffordshire known as the "Black Country" exported world wide.
Both towns now lie in the West Midlands conurbation, the town of Bilston and part of Willenhall come into the newest City in the UK (2000) the City of Wolverhampton, and the remainder of Willenhall lies in the Borough of Walsall
Lion Michelle Bate is the Club President for the year 2012/13.
B&W won the District skittles final at Springvale Club, on Saturday 17th March 2012 our male members went head to head with Northampton eighty Lions Club, and beat them with an impressive score.
Who Are The Lions?
Lions are local people who give some of their time to put something back into their local community, whether it is helping to organize local community events such as our Baggeridge Country Fayre, Bilston & Willenhall Lions Club strive to help those in need, wherever need exists.
What Do Bilston & Willenhall Lions Do?
Since our formation in 1984 our scope has been wide and our aims practical.
Our activities have included
- Helping to raise funds for various Local Groups & Organizations
- Raising funds to provide equipment for our Local Hospital & Hospices
- Support Youth Projects and Exchange Scheme
- Supporting Medic Alert & Tacade Programmes
- Promoting & assisting in World Sight Day & Lions Sight First Programmes, this includes raising awareness of the need for regular eye tests, the dangers & Problems of two of the leading causes of preventable blindness in the British Isles and Ireland - Glaucoma & Diabetic Eye Disease, collecting unwanted eye glasses and sending them to developing Countries to enable children to learn at school, adults to carry out work, for people to see again
- Promoting the Lions Message in a Bottle scheme, the scheme ensures that vital information is available to advise the emergency services of relevant illnesses, allergies & medication
- Support WaterAid to provide clean water and sanitation for people in the developing Countries
- Support school projects and Award Schemes
Bilston & Willenahll Lions Put The 'FUN' Into 'FUNDRAISING'
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.