Who We Are
The Alexandria Lions Club was formed in 1953 by 36 dedicated volunteers who saw the need to give something back to their community.
Since 1953, our club has been helping the less fortunate, supporting our area by contributing to local initiatives such as our hospital, our park, our sports associations, our schools and in general making Alexandria a better place to live.
For the past fifty years, our members have committed themselves to building a brighter future for their community.
Our club membership has, over the years, comprised of a vast variety of local volunteers of all occupations. Membership has varied from as low as ten members to as high as fifty members at one time. We now stand at sixteen dedicated members who wish only to serve and ask for nothing in return.
What We Do
Over the years, we have contributed funds raised in our community to various projects such as;
• CNIB-Helping the local blind Association
• Drug Abuse Prevention
• Diabetes Awareness
• Heart and Stroke Association
• Cancer Society
• Lung Association
• Dialysis Care
• High School Bursaries
• Big Brother/Sisters
• We have supplied hearing aids and helped our local physically handicapped residents.
• We are the official sponsor of the Glengarry Air Cadets.
• Contributed to many other various community projects
Our yearly monetary contributions have varied but now stand at approximately $25,000.
Where We are Going
Our programs are continually changing to meet new needs and greater demands, but our mission has never wavered: “We serve.”
Our goal is simple; to grow and meet the challenges of an increasing demand for our help.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.